Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Night of Boys & Balls

What I mean is: a night of soccer players, and soccer balls, ya sickos.

Last night, myself and a handful of other FUA students joined thousands of fans in the stands of the Florentine Soccer Stadium to watch our very first game. Soccer is huge here, which made it all the more exciting to attend. I think the walk there was just as exciting, though.
Twenty American ladies (accompanied by a few handsome boys) + a sea of purple shirts + thirty-minute walk + unnecessary large beers= great way to kick-off a game. I mean, it was no American tailgate of hotdogs, burgers, and mini kegs but we're talkin Italy here. Walking + Beer = skinny Italian women. Sitting in foldable chairs + Beer = .....America.
No, the beers could not be any bigger.


Furthermore, I think we can all agree that any sporting event is a good excuse to drink beer & eat more then your fair share of salty popcorn. So, we did just that. As we walked through the stadium looking for the food stands, you knew you were most definitely not in America. Rather then seeing people guzzling superdidooper-venti Starbucks & sodas, people were sipping on teeny cappuccinos and espressos. Italy-2. America-0.
Apparently, Italians are so enthusiastic & loud at the games that they have a separate section for the crazy animals. Unfortunately, we didn't get to be part of the zoo, for once- we actually ended up sitting far from it but saw the action from a distance. Next game, I hope to surf the crowd or something. Here's a little glimpse into crowds and their chanting:
To be honest, while fidgeting through this game, I discovered that I don't really care for soccer. I love playing the sport, I just don't love watching it. I do, however, like that the clock always runs so the halves fly by. I hate to say this but the only other exciting parts of the game besides goals, which don't happen often, is when someone gets hurt (eeek). That sounds pretty awful, doesn't it? Well, as I felt my eyelids shutting, two guys ended up knocking their heads into each other which woke me right back up!

As the players took a knee and waited for the ET team to hurry onto the field, fully equipped with stretchers, the boys bounced back after a minute or so. Nap time!
We were fortunate to be seated right next to a chain smoker though. That was nice! Right before the game started, he opened a fresh pack. By the game's half time, it was his pack's half time (he made a guest appearance in the video above).
Now, what I am about to say next doesn't really get addressed that often (unless you're in my house, Char & Al, you can back me up on this) but I know every single one of you has thought about it excessively at one point or another. Butts. Straight up. In this particular context, I'm talkin' about athletes bootays, but you can let your mind wander.

Whenever I attend a Yankees game, I'm not there solely for the game. I am there to take a perverted amount of pictures of Jeter and A-Rods back drops and I KNOW you are, too. Well anyway, I went into this game thinking...hoping...praying that we would be blessed with a show. This is what I got... 
And frankly, I was disappointed. Baby do NOT got back. Italy-2. America-1.

All the sudden I had ants in my pants (seriously!) so we left at half time. Sad, I know. We made our way back to the apartment where we dolled ourselves up for the night. And what a night it was....

No comments:

Post a Comment