Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Three week mark

Three weeks, three weeks, three weeks.
It has been about three weeks since I last wrote a post on this good 'ole blog. In the past three weeks, I have been one very busy girl. Also, three weeks is the amount of time I have left in this good 'ole country. Whaaat a buzz kill- It feels like I just started this thing!
So, with just three weeks left I thought I'd write a little bit about my thoughts and feelings at this point. A lot has been going on in this crazy & adventurous life I live, and I thought I'd let you in if you care to join.

It makes me cringe just thinking about how fast time flies. When you finally set into a routine the days just selfishly run away from you. The time change isn't helping things either. It gets dark by 4:50 p.m. so by 6:00 I'm done with dinner and ready for bed. Not really, but sort of.

Recently, I have found myself picking things up in the grocery store, only to put them back down thinking, "you went this long without it... you don't need it now with twenty days left (and then I shed a tear)." For example, I recently contemplated purchasing a dish drainer. I think we can all agree that a dish drainer is a simple necessity in most houses and makes the dish washing process much less stressful. We could really use one but we've gone this long watching our clean dishes fall off the counter and back into the dirty sink that we're just going to ride it out until the end. We will all appreciate dish washers that much more when we get home.
Now a clothes dryer on the other hand would be an instant purchase, if it were an option. Hanging clothes is rugged fun and all but I'm tired of waiting three days for my sweats to be dry. Sadly, the dryer sheets we brought are being used not in our non-existent dryer but attached to my pillow to keep the pesky mosquitos away as I sleep. Seeing as I am currently sporting five beautiful bites on my face, we might need to retire those little guys. Clearly, livin' the good life!

I have also found myself writing long emails to future abroad students who are looking for advice for their spring semester. On the jealousy scale of 1-10, I'm about at about 50. Before coming here, I had so many people eager to write to me and fill me with their experiences and advice. Although very much appreciated, I did not understand why people were so open and excited to help. Now I do... I want people to have the same amazing experiences that I was fortunate enough to have. It is weird that I soon I will be able to say I lived in another country for four months, and most importantly came out alive...and happy.

I have found myself constantly thinking about how grateful I am for everything I have been blessed with in life. I have learned to really appreciate the important things, and rid myself of the unimportant.
For instance, I am beyond grateful for family... they are the best thing that could ever happen to me. They are the people who helped make me the crazy, goofy, and happy girl I am today. They have affected me in more ways then I will ever know. They will always be there when I need them. They will always have my best interest in heart. They will always be my strongest support system. They will always love me.
Think about it: When things go sour, who do you call? The ghostbusters? I mean, sure but family is next on that speed dial.
The fam (I'm the marshmallow man, not pictured)
I can proudly say I have two of the best parents, two of the most incredible and genuine brothers, and now two of the most amazing and loving sistas a girl could ask for. Seriously, it's a fact. Look my family up under.. I think it's.. Awesome? Johnston? I can't remember.
My B's
Brilliant child to the left. 
I am grateful for the strong and genuine friendships that have flourished here.
London, England
Miss Sarah and I
I am grateful for the opportunity to adapt and live in a new country and culture.
Olive picking!
I have learned to not be so judgmental of people. I have realized that everyone is different, everyone has their own story, everyone has something to offer and is just trying to get by in this big world we share. Helping each other is the best way to make this happen.

I have learned that my way of doing things is not the right way, it is just one way...of many.

I have learned that not every day is going to be perfect, good, and exciting even though we would love them to. Struggles in life are natural, normal and healthy. If you let them, they can teach you valuable lessons and help you become a stronger and more fulfilled person.

Although almost every day here has been better then the next, there are a few that have certainly been hard. During the past three months, I have gone through several emotionally challenging experiences.
I have experienced a complete distancing with a very close friend and person in my life.
I have also experienced my first death of a loved one and family member. My grandfather, at the age of 90, passed away a few weeks ago. This was extremely hard for me to grasp for many reasons. I was unaware that his health was rapidly declining and I was not able to be with my family and Grandpa as they spent their last few hours/minutes together.
He was the most genuine, caring, and loving man with the greatest sense of humor. Sitting at his kitchen table and playing cards with the Yankee game on in the background will always be one of my fondest memories with him.
My last memory of him is very touching. My mom told me that when they would visit him in hospice care, he started talking less and less. Amidst his obvious suffering, he made the effort to stay alert to give my family their last moments together memorable. And although he would get foggy or not respond, he still managed to remember me and say..."and then there's my girl in Italy."
Even though I wasn't able to be with him, hold his hand and say goodbye, I rest easy knowing that we were on each others minds.

All in all, I would like to say I have reached my a-ha moment (holla Oprah) but who knows? Hopefully I will reach a lot of a-ha moments in my life. I can certainly say I feel good though. Life is all good.

Recap on Sarah Elizabeth's visit coming soon!

1 comment:

  1. refreshing. I am so so glad you are having a ball and hope it continues when you come back. It will be hard to leave a place that has brought you clarity and renewed a passion in you. I am sure you will be so sad to leave - but we are looking forward to life back in the states with you.

    ReplyDelete