Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Food for Thought

Now that I am approaching the half way mark of my Italian living, I find it necessary to touch on a few things I have learned or gained while here:
Top 10:
1. I thoroughly enjoy traveling. At first, I was apprehensive, like anyone, about leaving America, let alone Connecticut, where I am most comfortable. As soon as I pushed myself onto that plane, I could not have felt more ready for my semester. I have taken every opportunity that has been presented to me with open arms, and have enjoyed every minute of my excursions. 


2. I have met so many incredible people here and am so thankful for the friendships that have flourished. Without this opportunity, we would have never crossed paths. I said in one of my first posts that I wanted to form relationships that would last me a lifetime...I am certain I have already found some. 


3. I love immersing myself within the different cultures and learning about their history. There is so much more life to see outside of the small (or big) towns we live in. I think it is necessary to branch out and explore in order to better understand yourself and your place in this very big world.


4. Furthermore, I found that removing myself from what was every-day/comfortable and being open to change was essential, for it has lent a hand in changing my outlook on life back home; both the good and bad parts. It has made me realize the things I am proud of and the things I need to change in order to live more positively & become more fulfilled- which will in turn benefit the people I am surrounded by.


5. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, whether it be from voluntary action or through God. All of the discussions I have had with people, or situations I have witnessed could not have happened at more perfect times. They have helped me solve puzzles in my life and come to necessary conclusions.


6. With that said, I could not be more thankful for such amazing family and friends who support me every day during my time here. They are filled with an abundance of wisdom, the best advice, and so much unselfish love. I hope I return the same to them. 


7. I am such a blessed girl.


8. I really miss my pup, Jackson. I've probably dreamt about seeing him a good ten times since being here. I am sure he has done the same.


9. Life is too short to surround yourself with people who are negative, who constantly bring you down, who make you upset, and lead you to you be someone you are not. Do not waste your precious time trying to live up to other people's expectations, or getting their confirmation. Most likely, they will never be satisfied and in the end, their opinion does not matter. Am I right, or am I right?

10. Life is good.
There is a great blog post I ran across the other day (at the most perfect time) that I hope you find as inspirational as I have:
http://mydailydoseofinspiration.blogspot.com/2011/10/survival-skills-for-young-women-lesson.html


Ciao! xx

3 comments:

  1. Love this! MIss and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so great! I love the intentionality behind your blog & that surrounds your attitude for going abroad. I'm friends with Ali and just found your blog via her's! Keep up the good work with the blog && I look forward to more posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow I am flattered that you mentioned my post. I am so glad it spoke to you. I loved reading your post as well. I cannot say enough how traveling has changed me for the better and braodened my perspective. Just from reading your post, it sounds like you have become a more open-minded, self-aware person. What a blessing! Cheers to life and all it's beauty.

    XO

    Sam

    ReplyDelete